Friday, June 9, 2017

Review: Just Once by Julianna Keyes


Just Once by Julianna KeyesJust Once
by Julianna Keyes
October 29, 2013
290 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Kate Burke is done making bad decisions. Thirty years old and belatedly determined to grow up, the successful travel writer and one-time party girl returns to work at the remote Ponderosa Pines Ranch to reassess her life.

Although her kitchen/cabin staff is lacking and the workload never relents, Kate’s main challenge is Shane Maddox, the ruggedly handsome and doggedly stubborn ranch foreman. Instantly at odds, they battle over everything from ceiling fans to bothersome bats—studiously ignoring the sparks they generate with each confrontation.

They can’t explain their explosive physical chemistry, but after a few frustrated weeks they can’t deny it either. Their solution? Just once. They’ll get past their inconvenient lust and move on.

Kate’s been trying to think with her head instead of her hormones, but is this just another bad decision in a lifetime of careless choices? Has she really changed at all?

Set in the striking and serene hills of southern Colorado, Julianna Keyes’ debut novel offers a sizzling and satisfying tale of unexpected chemistry and the power of second chances. Her characters will get under your skin and into your heart. Just once may not be enough for you either.

 

Review

After really loving the Burnham College series, I decided to try some of Julianna Keyes's other books. I like the cover and premise of Just Once so it became first on my list. I got to devouring it right away and boy was it sexy, fun and thoughtful.

Just Once has a really fun setting. The Ponderosa Pines Ranch sounds absolutely amazing. What I wouldn't give to go relax there for one week. Even if it's to work there I have a feeling I'll enjoy it~ I love the routine and how despite the workloads, all the workers still manage to squeeze in some fun here and there. Never a dull moment.

Kate and Shane were by no means perfect but I love how they slowly worked on their communication. Kate was definitely more responsible and Shane more understanding when the time called for it. Even if stubbornness and pride got in the way a lot of times, nothing was irreparable. They were both able to come to their senses just in time. Oh man were these two on fire together. Ms. Keyes writes some of the most steamy cheek-burning sex scenes. There was intensity sprinkled with sweetness and just the right amount of dirty ;)

I'm seriously in love with the title of this book. I love how Ms. Keyes gives more meaning to her title and not just with this one book but with the Burnham College books too. She brings out the multiple sides and various interpretations to the words and phrases. How does she do that??

Ms. Keyes's debut novel pleasantly surprised me. I enjoyed it a lot. It's at necessary times serious but mostly funny and sexy. The writing is solid, the story meaningful and the characters flawed but agreeable. Sign me up for the Julianna Keyes fan club!
 
5 Cats
 
P.S. I am feeling like there should be a sequel to tell Hailey and Brandon's story? I am not beyond begging for one. Please? Pretty please?!??!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...